Crafting faith, hope, love carving for the house
Every so often one needs to be reminded of what is really imported in life, thus the faith, hope, love carving. I saw this sign while Googling for projects that will make great gifts for the Christmas season. The faith, hope, love carving design just grub me by the heart and we had to get it carved.
Let’s graft the faith, hope, love carving: Design Process
The following single Artcam Express reliefs creates the scene. The Artcam Express reliefs are available for downloading in the store, and the first five Artcam express is free when you register.
The anchor relief is a stock item in Artcam express and is not available in the store. There is a different anchor
The sequence we used to create the faith, hope, love carving was:
- We used a stock block with a 10 mm depth to create the base for the carving. If you register you can read the article on how to create this block in Sketchup
- The Artcam Express reliefs of the heart, anchor and dove are placed 10 mm from the left side of the wood. The reliefs are 7 mm high.
- The word reliefs are placed within 10 mm but not closer than 7.5 mm as we use a 1/4′ straight router bit to do the roughing during carving.
- Each section as shown below is carved separately.
The image shows the faith, hope, love carving design converted to g-code, ready for machining.
Faith, hope, love carving: Carving Part
The CNC router setup for carving of the faith, hope, love carving was as follows:
- The workpieces were 420 mm by 130-150 mm with a width of 21mm. The wood used are Cherry, Walnut and French oak. You can read about this wood type carving and general properties.
- We used a Straight 1/4 Inch bit for roughing and a Ball Nose 1/8 Inch bit for final cutting. The number of carving layers was 3 in total, 2 roughing and then the final cut to produce the faith, hope, love carving. The ball nose diameter is 0.24 inches. The tool is from Amana Tools via Toolstoday online shop.
- The feed rate was at 100 inches and the plunge rate at 30 inches per minute.
- The spindle speed was at 15,000 r.p.m
The picture below show the carving after on the CNC router before sanding and sealing.
The time to complete the faith, hope, love carving was 9 hours. The scene was then lightly sanded and polished. The wood is sealed using Woodoc 10. Three layers of Woodoc 10 was applied with sanding and polishing between the first two layers. The faith, hope, love can be a decoration or key holder.