Wooden reliefs and patterns marketing
Woodworkers, crafters and hobbyists, lend me your ears. I am no Shakespeare and this is not Julius Caesar. Our wooden reliefs and patterns are beautiful, they look great in all wood or craft projects, and what’s more important they are cost effective. We are excited, it’s working! You may ask, “What is working?” My Little CNC Router Workshop is a small hobby business located in Port Edward, a very small town(less than 500 people in the winter) on the South Coast of Kwazulu Natal in South Africa. As you are reading this, our marketing strategy is working, let me explain! Wooden reliefs and patterns – main door explains the steps we are using to get visitors to our little workshop.
Internet marketing side:
I don’t know how big the internet is, but when you google the google data centre you will be amazed, it’s bigger than my town! The question is then, how do we get you to visit our website out of all the millions of websites that exist?
- Firstly, you must have a product or service that someone would like to use! Yes, we make and sale wooden reliefs and patterns. They enhance and add value, make it unique, are fun to use, great looking and ultimately make your product more marketable.
- You need to tell people about your product. Write about it, take pictures, make videos, just make sure that it’s clear and easy to read and see. In all the documentation that is out on the web, this is the key. If your visitors don’t spend time on your webpage, you are doomed, time spent is very important.
- Remember the golden thread, always ensure that you link all articles back to your product or service.
- Check where your website is when you search for the product you sell (Keyword search). We are working on getting our website ranking up in the areas of reliefs and patt
erns both for website and image searches. This process, SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is great fun and very rewarding. Each new visitor from a different part of the world puts a smile on ones face. There are great tools from Google, Yahoo, etc. that can help you with this process. We use a website development platform called WordPress, great and easy system to use, it’s also free! You get little sub-programs (no computer skills requiredJ) that you install on your website to help with SEO. We, for example, use Yoast SEO.
- When the website ranking is consistently among the top 20 with our Keywords, we will bring in the experts! Yes, there are many and finding the right person for your pro
duct is critical.
- This will be followed by paid advertising to craft and woodworking stores.
Physical marketing side:
Over the last couple of months we have been building relationships in the local communities and showing people the wooden reliefs and patterns that we make. The response has been great! This process is exciting and very rewarding but the volumes are still too low from a product sales perspective. Word of mouth is still the best marketing tool that one can have, the only drawback is the time it takes for the network to grow! On the local and national front, we are focussing on getting our product visible to all the woodworkers and crafters. Our local wood supplier, Chris from Lumber City, suggested that we make a display panel that he is willing to put up in his shop. The display is not fancy, it’s practical and shows how you can use the reliefs and patterns in your projects.
What was interesting, while I was taking the display to Chris, I walked into a number of other key woodworking supply stores… Wow, the response was fantastic! The result is that we are making small displays for business.
We are constantly in the process of developing, implementing and redeveloping the wooden relief and patterns marketing strategy. Have fun, it’s the journey that counts.
There is as always lots to learn and we’ll keep you informed from my soapbox!